Sugar Cane Growers Fund (SCG) originated in 1946 as there was a need for commonwealth sugar exporting countries including Fiji and the United Kingdom to establish and set aside reserve funds from the increase in sugar price to take care of rehabilitation works- Sugar Cane Price Support Fund. Then Sugar Cane Growers Fund Authority (Fund) was established by Act No. 9 of 1984 enacted by the Parliament of Fiji on 26 July 1984. All monies and Assets of the Sugar Cane Price Support Fund were transferred to the Sugar Cane Growers Fund under the Act.
The name has been changed to Sugar Cane Growers Fund by amendment Act 12 of 1996.
The core function of the SCGF is to provide loans to registered cane growers of Fiji in accordance to the Sugar Cane Growers Fund act 1984, enacted by the parliament of Fiji. The act has gone through amendments (An Act 1984, Parliament of Fiji, Laws of Fiji, 1984). SCGF has also provided loans to Sugar industry stakeholders.
SCGF a corporate body of the Government has a registered Head Office in Drasa Avenue, Lautoka. District Offices in Lautoka, Nadi, Ba, Tavua, Rakiraki, Labasa and Seaqaqa and weekly agency services to Sigatoka.
The Chairman and the Board of SCGF is appointed by the Minister for Sugar Industry in accordance with Sugar Cane Growers Fund Act.
- As part of the reform, SCGF looks at the way Forward to be a premier and sustainable financial service provider for Fiji’s sugar cane growers and beyond,
- To be part of transformation and sustainability journey for the industry with various common objectives in revitalizing the sugar industry [increase production, mechanization];
- To be One of the robust, dynamic and innovative financial service provider of sugar cane farmers, industry & beyond;
- Supporting various action plans and tactics for the Sugar Industry; –,
- To have sound and stable parent company with its subsidiary(ies) and diversified portfolio,
- Working for long term sustainability through growth of core business, diversification, expansion and investment;
- Being the catalyst in driving government policies and economy, through collaborative platform;
- Having right and adequate resources and capital to support the prudent growth and expansion.
To provide efficient, affordable and sustainable financial services to meet the diverse needs of our customers and contribute to the development of the economy and the Sugar Industry.
Will ensure efficient and dependable financial services to its customers. As the premier service provider to cane farmers, will take its best people, best practices and best products to new dimensions and expanded opportunities.
- Exercise sound management and prudent lending and investment policies.
- Maintain integrity and objectivity.
- Put our customers first and in doing so will provide quality service promptly, effectively and courteous transparent and accountable corporate practices.
- Good corporate citizens and act in the best interest of Fiji. Provide opportunities for all our employees to develop their full potential in a sage and co-operative working environment.
- Increase the production of sugar cane.
- Improve efficiently in planting, growing, harvesting and transportation of sugar cane.
- Establish sugar cane farms and to construct buildings and other installations on those farms.
- Desirable to rehabilitate farms, buildings and other installation damages caused by floods, cyclones, drought and other natural disasters
- Crop diversification.
- For the personal family needs of Growers during periods of financial distress or hardship.
- Participate in commercial ventures which, in the opinion of the Board, are intended to benefit the cane growing industry.